The Chairperson will normally be the public figure head of the club with an overall responsibility for the continuous promotion of the club as the first choice rugby league club in the area and ensuring effective management of all aspects of the clubs operations.
Where a club has a President and a Chairman, the President will normally fill the role of figure head while the Chairman will concentrate on the Club’s Governance and Management.
REPORT TO: Committee and Club Financial Members
- Act as Chairperson of the Committee, Annual and Special General meetings; actively participating in these meetings and other discussions.
- Provide leadership in ensuring that the interests of the club and its members are attended to.
- Assume overall responsibility for the club’s progress across all key strategic areas of the club’s Strategic Plan.
- Act as an ex-officio member of each club sub-committee.
- Ensure the constitution and club structures are current and reflect and adequately support the club’s strategic direction.
- Ensure the club abides by all applicable legislation and rules at all times including the club constitution and policy manual.
- Ensure the club policy manual and operations manual relating to the “Governance” key Strategic Area is kept current/updated as necessary.
- Actively participate in the formulation of annual Action Plans for the “Governance” Key Strategic Area.
- Ensure the club aligns with the strategic direction and initiatives of the ARL and NZRL.
- Act as the primary spokesperson for the club when dealing with outside parties.
- Represent the club as an official party to all club contracts.
- Prepare and present an Annual Report to the Annual General Meeting.
- Ensure that club disciplinary matters are dealt with appropriately.
- Ensure the club is running effectively.
- Attend ARL Conference’s and provide feedback to the rest of the club committee.
- Attend games and particularly home games.
- Host sponsors and ARL representatives attending games.
- Attend/participate in the club’s prize giving.
- Assist with player recruitment.
- Attend to allocated issues arising from the club’s action plans.
- Attend to any matters allocated by the committee.
- Actively and positively promote the club in the local community.
- Help the club to stay in good working order through active participation in working bees.
- Active participation in all aspects of the club management and activities.
- Be available to club members to facilitate communication between the members and the Club’s Executive.
- Regularly review this Job Description and ensure it remains appropriate and ensure the next person taking over the role is prepared and the transfer is completed smoothly with the minimum of disruption.