The Team Coach has overall responsibilities for implementing the club’s philosophies in terms of the development and playing of rugby league by the players he/she is allocated.
Coaching is a key leadership and mentoring role for the club with the player experiences (particularly at a junior level) having a significant impact on player retention and the longer term performance of the club.
The key qualities or skills required for a coach include:
- A knowledge of rugby league or a desire and ability to develop that knowledge
- Well organised
- An effective oral communicator and in particular an ability to explain what is required
- An ability to lead positively by example
- An ability to work with a wide range of personalities
- An ability to motivate and excite
REPORT TO: Club Captain (Junior or Senior as appropriate) and Club Management Committee
- Establish in conjunction with the Club Captain the desired outcomes for the allocated team for that season.
- Develop and implement a plan to achieve those goals.
- Develop and implement coaching sessions to up skill all players in the squad.
- As appropriate work with the club captain in the selection of team squads.
- Ensure specialist coaching is involved where appropriate and available.
- Work with the club captain(s) to identify players for representative trials and/or advanced development academies.
- Attend and proactively participate in Auckland Rugby League football development seminars/courses and programmes.
- Actively promote the principles of fair play on and off the field both from team members and supporters.
- Display control, respect and professionalism to all involved in the sport including opponents, referees, coaches, officials, administrators, parents and spectators.
- Maintain a positive and encouraging environment at all times.
- Ensure that equipment and facilities available to the team are of a satisfactory standard and appropriate for the level and ability of the team.
- Ensure all squad members receive an equal opportunity to participate in both training and games.
- Actively promote player well being and safety.
- Do not arrive at training or games in an intoxicated state.
- Do not verbally or physically abuse players, officials, spectators or other coaches.
- Positively and pro-actively promote the club in the local community.
- Help the club to stay in good working order – cleaning, working bees.
- If not a committee member attend club committee meetings when requested.
- Attend to any other matters as requested by the club committee.
- Be compliant with the club’s constitution.
- Regularly review this job description and recommend improvements to the management committee.