Referees are appointed to all competition matches by the ARL Referees Association.
In the event of a referee not being available the following policy is applicable:
- If no referee is available to referee the match, teams must agree to a replacement referee to ensure the match is played and the match will recognised by the Auckland Rugby League. There are no friendly games.
- In the event of the teams not agreeing to a replacement referee, the coaches of the teams or their appointee shall each referee half of the match with the coaches determining which of them will referee the first half of the match by toss of a coin.
- If still no agreement and the match not played in competition rounds, no replay will occur.
- Should a match commence under a replacement referee and the appointed referee to the match subsequently arrives, the appointed referee must take control of the match at a suitable time and control for the balance of the unplayed time.
- In the event that the match is a Top 4 or Top 5 playoff and the teams have not agreed to a replacement referee, the match shall be considered postponed with no points being awarded to either team with the match being replayed at a time and date to be determined by the appropriate Management Committee.
- The referee is the sole judge of fact and time during all games played and their decision is final. If there is an official timekeeper appointed then the timekeeper shall monitor the game time on behalf of the referee and will be sole judge of time for the game.
- If a replacement is made under any other circumstances the referee will take appropriate action under the laws of the game against the offending player or team.
Linesman will be appointed wherever possible to a game by the ARL Referees Association. Where no linesman is appointed, each team is required to supply one for the duration of the match. The appointed linesman then becomes an official of the Auckland Rugby League. At the commencement of the second half the linesman are required to swap sides of the field.
Have you ever thought about becoming a Referee or Touch Judge?
The Auckland Rugby League Referees Association are in dire need of referees and touch judges. The Association offer:
- Full training and ongoing support programmes.
- Supply of referees strip.
- A chance to stay involved in the game and keep fit at the same time.
- The opportunity to meet new people in a friendly enviroment. Age is no barrier.
- Game allocations can be made to suit your work and family requirements.
Get along and see what the Association or being a referee is all about or you can contact:
Craig Pascoe: 0216359986 or email email@example.com
John McKeown: 09 571 2000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Go directly to new Referees website: www.arlrefs.co.nz